|Job Title:||Service Designer|
|Contact Name:||Joanne Finchett|
|Job Published:||March 31, 2020 20:38|
They will facilitate the embedding and building of service design capability in teams and provide the foundations to support them across the organisation in which they work. The Service Designer will have extensive experience working in Agile and, ideally, experience with the Commonwealth Digital Service Standard.
You and your teams will build minimum viable products according to our service design principles and apply technology pragmatically. You’ll create and test hypotheses about user behaviour by using analytics, observing real users and acting on the results. We’re genuinely guided by what we find; the Department doesn’t hesitate to end projects that no longer make sense.
You’ll work in co-located team will help evolve the department's remote working practices. You will participate in wider internal and external communities (e.g. design guilds) that guide how we work at the department, and across government.
Key duties and capabilities
As the Service Designer, you will be required to bring the following skills and attributes to the team:
- Work as part of an agile multi-disciplined team
- Work with product managers, business analysts and user researchers to conduct discovery research to understand and map existing user experiences and user needs of government services and analyse existing service delivery operations
- Identify failure demand in existing services and opportunities for reducing failure demand, reducing the cost of the service and improving the user experience
- Design successful, user focused services that are usable for the entire population across all delivery channels
- Iterate service designs based on user research
- Identify user needs and demonstrate how design decisions support these needs.
- Create design hypotheses to improve the service and work colleagues to run design measurable design experiments
- Confidently explain your design decisions and rationale and be open to and encourage critique from colleagues.
- Share your experience and knowledge with the design community within Department and the APS more widely through good communication, participation in events and writing guides and blog posts.
- Help develop and enhance our Service Design methodology to ensure we stay abreast of current trends in the industry
- You will need to demonstrate your design capability by showing a portfolio of work you have designed (not just managed).
Essential Skills and Experience Required
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and openly in multidisciplinary teams to delivery services
- Experience conducting user research, synthesizing it to develop key insights, and ultimately delivering desired outcomes
- Experience working with quantitative data to identify opportunities within services for improvements
- Experience with hypothesis-based design and measuring outcomes
- Experience modelling complex services (as is and to be) in a way that is accessible and clear
- Experience working in digital/IT environments and able to communicate effectively with technical team members
- Demonstrated deep and practical design experience in either business process design, industrial design, interaction design or other relevant design discipline.
- Ability to communicate complex concepts in a clear and accessible way in written, verbal and visual ways.
- Minimum 3-5yrs experience required.
- Understanding and/or experience working within an agile management environment and working across organisational boundaries and physical locations to deliver services and project outcomes.
Canberra or Sydney based will be Remote working will be mandatory. 3 Month Contract with multiple options to extend.
Must be an Australian Citizen. Police Check is required.
Bring your own (BYO) device (mandatory)
Successful personnel must have the ability to provide their own device due to the shortage of laptops and other mobile devices. Devices will be configured to allow for remote access to necessary department infrastructure.
How to Apply:
Applications close 4 April 2020
Please upload your resume to apply. Please note you may need to complete selection criteria to complete this application process. We will be in touch with instructions for suitably skilled candidates
Call Jo Finchett 1300 944 936 for any further information