Geospatial Data Engineer
|Job Title:||Geospatial Data Engineer|
|Contact Name:||Kym Hinds|
|Job Published:||July 08, 2021 16:54|
The Spatial Enablement team within the section provides policy and program areas with: mapping, address management, geocoding, boundary tagging, spatial data analysis, support, advice and consultancy. The team also supports and maintains bespoke and third party geospatial products.
Duties for this role include:
- Analysing spatial business data to provide the right solutions for Policy and Program areas, for Data Modelling and IT teams, for Chief Data Officer and Minister’s Office requests.
- Suitably representing and displaying data in digital (interactive) and hardcopy (static) maps to communicate the key policy and program spatial requirements.
- Sourcing, creating, and managing spatial data and maintaining metadata.
- Guiding and mentoring staff.
- Geocoding and validating address data.
- Evaluating stakeholder interest and tailoring spatial solutions to stakeholder needs.
- Engaging in Agile project-based activities.
- Keeping up to date with latest developments in spatial technology to monitor professional trends and identify impacts on work practices.
- Assisting with programming and automating Geographic Information System (GIS) tasks and actively contribute to opportunities for technology improvements and optimisation of spatial processes
This is a 6-month contract with a potential 2x 6 month extension available. You must have a current baseline clearance.
- Demonstrated experience in the use of MapInfo Pro and Feature Manipulation Engine (FME) to create and analyse spatial data in tabular and vector format.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to identify stakeholder needs and come up with appropriate solutions. Excellent communication skills both verbal and written to communicate complex spatial concepts in simple terms and provide spatial, technical advice in language suitable for audiences.
- Strong SQL experience with an ability to query database tables to extract datasets important for spatial analysis.
- Good knowledge of Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) Australian Statistical Geography Standard (ASGS) and spatial data, including the application of ASGS for the generation of policy map file boundaries.
- Experience in using Business Intelligence tools (such as QlikSense, Power BI or SAS) for visualisation of spatial and business data or willingness to learn.
- Sound cartographic skills and knowledge of basic UI design concepts (HTML, CSS) to create professional quality web maps.
- Experience with Agile work practices (DevOps, Scrum, Kanban) or aptitude for learning, including mentoring and guiding teams.
- Working knowledge of .NET, DevOps and PowerShell scripting or prior development experience for maintenance of custom spatial software.
- Experience in web APIs (web services) and familiarity with Cloud technology (Azure Data Services).
- Prior experience or working knowledge of: ESRI ArcGIS, Python and QGIS.
How to Apply:
Please upload your resume to apply. Please note you will be required to complete a selection criteria to complete this application process. We will be in touch with instructions for suitably skilled candidates.
Call Kym 1300 944 936 for any further information.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Senior Data Flows Engineer level 5 (NV2 upgrade to TSPV)
Data Quality ETL Developer (Technical Developer) (Baseline)
$0 - $145 per hour
Data Transfer and Support Analyst Level 2 (TSPV)